Here’s a quick 10 mins body weight workout for weight loss that you can do at home or just about anywhere. These exercises pack a punch - and will help you with weight loss and getting a tight and toned body. All exercises we are doing today are compound, multi-join and functional movements. At the end of your workout, you would have trained your abs, your butt, legs, core, chest, shoulders .. well your entire body - and that too without using a single piece of equipment. We are going to move quick between these exercises with 15-30 sec rest in between each set, so you always keep your heart rate up, burn more calories and get the most benefit form this short 10 mins routine. This 10 mins at home workout routine is beneficial for both men and women alike.
Jumping jacks are wonderful total-body workout. Jumping jacks are plyometric or jump training exercise which combines both aerobics and resistance training benefits. It benefits your heart, lungs and muscles at the same time. It will also helps you lose weight as it works your entire body. Do the jumping jack first in your training routine as it is also an excellent movement to warm up your entire body for the exercises to follow.
- Start the movement by standing upright with your legs together and arms at your sides
- Bend your knees slightly, and jump up
- As you jump, spread your legs wider than shoulder width apart and stretch your arms over your head
- Jump back to the starting position
- This is one rep
- Do 4 sets of 20 reps
Now that you are warmed up. We are going to up the ante. The next exercise is the Burpee. This is one heck of a calorie buster, strength builder and full body exercise. Military forces, extreme athletes, football players – all include burpee in their training routine as a must. It’s just that beneficial! There is no easy way to do a burpee. It’s a brutal exercise. But if you want a firm and toned body, Burpee will get you the body you want like no other exercise can. The burpee works your legs, glues, core, back chest arms, shoulders – you name it. So, let’s get started.
- The classic burpee is a four-point move
- From a standing position drop into a squat position with your hands on the floor in front of you
- Kick your feet back into a push up position or plank position. Physically fit individuals can do a single push up at this stage by dropping your chest to the ground
- Now return back to the squat position as fast as possible
- And immediately jump into the air as high as you can with your arms straight above you
- This makes 1 rep
- Do 3 sets of 10-15 reps. It will test your limits. But remember your goal and you will get through it
Let's finish the upper-body by doing the push-up next. Another excellent exercise in helping you lose weight and getting a firm and toned body. Push-up will work the triceps, chest, core, lower back and recruit stabilizer muscles in your lower body.
- Get in a high plank position - with palms flat on the mat or the floor and hands shoulder-width apart
- Place your shoulders over your hands and feet together behind you
- Keep your back strong and flat. Don’t let it sag
- Keep your core engaged by pulling your belly in toward your spine
- Slowly lower your body toward the floor, going as far down as you can while maintaining a strong set back and core
- Don’t arch your back or let your body sag down - maintain the tension throughout the movement
- Then press yourself back up to the starting position
- This is one rep. Do 3 sets of 10-15 reps
We are done with the upper body. We will now train the lower body with another extremely beneficial exercise. The Squat, is a highly functional movement that primarily works all the major muscle groups in your lower body. But it also works the rest of your body by strengthening your central nervous system.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart
- Hold your arms out in front of you at shoulder height
- Begin the movement by flexing your knees and hips - sitting back with your hips
- Continue down to about when you have reached the sitting position
- Then quickly reverse the motion to return to the starting position
- This is one rep do 3 sets of 10-15 reps
- Throughout your squat make sure to keep your head and chest up and maintain a strong set back
Alright you are almost at the end of our workout. The second to last exercise is the Lunge. Lunges are extremely effective in strengthening your lower body and core. Like a squat, this exercise targets muscle groups of your lower body which kick starts your metabolism. As a result, you will lose weight and get leaned much faster. Also, since you train each leg independently, you’ll improve your balance, stability and coordination.
- Begin by standing straight, shoulders relaxed and chin up
- Take a step back or a step forward
- Flex the knees to drop your hips
- Descend until your rear knee nearly touches the ground
- You can do a set in this position or switch the leg to repeat the lunge with the opposite leg
- Either way do 3 sets with 10 reps for each leg
We are going to finish up with the core. When it comes to training abs, most gym exercise machines are useless. The crunch and sit-up both hit your core hard, but sit-up has an advantage. Unlike the crunch a sit-up involves lifting your entire torso up into a semi-seated position – so you work more muscles in a sit-up.
- Lie down on your back
- Bend your legs and place feet firmly on the ground
- Place your hands behind your ears, without pulling on your neck. Or place your hands to opposite shoulders whichever you find easier
- Curl your upper body all the way up toward your knees
- Then lower yourself down, returning to your starting point
- Throughout the movement keep strength in your core, feet and your back
- Do 3 sets of 10-15 reps
Congratulations, you have made it. You are on your way in achieving the toned, firm body your desire. Don’t skip on these exercises. These six body-weight exercises can be done anywhere and are great for losing weight and staying fit. So, when life gets in the way just find yourself 10 mins in the day. Once you start seeing the results you will be glad you did.